I’ve been neglecting this cardigan during summer but now it’s finally finished.
I’m very new in designing my own garments so this is what I would call an experiment - but definitely a very exciting one. First thing I did was to find a stitch pattern I liked and I ended up using an ogee pattern from Mary Thomas’ Book of Knitting Patterns, hence the name, Ogee Cardigan. I made subtle changes to the pattern so that it suited my purpose. After that I thought about how the pattern could be placed on a cardigan and I came up with this.
In retrospect, I might have made some things different. For example, I could have made one more ogee pattern repeat on the sleeves, near the shoulders. But I have to admit that the sleeve caps were knit more or less randomly and I didn’t know exactly how they would turn out. Also, I think that the shoulders are a bit narrow so that the sleeves are drawn too much towards the top shoulders. Instead the seam should have been placed further towards the upper arm.
In spite of the minor ‘errors’ I’m really happy with this. I also like the buttons which I think suit the cardigan quite well, as the shape resembles the shape of the ogee pattern.
The yarn is Isager Tvinni and Spinni, one strand of each held together. The colors differ slightly in nuance and I like the blend of them, giving a special tweed effect. I love these yarns because they are 100 % natural fibers and they haven’t been exposed to any super wash treatment. That’s just right up my alley!